As you know, OpenOffice.org is a multiplatform and multilingual office suite. It is a free office suite in Ubuntu 7.10 with several improved features. Last month, I had to show you more than 80 free tutorials for creating and using documents, databases, spreadsheets, and presentations in OpenOffice.org. Today, I would like to tell with you what I have done to fix a bug in this office suite. Now let's go!

Applications > Office > OpenOffice.org Word Processor > Insert > Special Character

My God! What happen? Look at this screenshot

My OpenOffice.org 2.3 is crashing in Gutsy Gibbon. Look around and discover that this problem is somehow related to two packages (openoffice.org-gnome and openoffice.org-gtk)

The problem have been solved after I removed these packages.

sudo aptitude remove openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk

2 comments

  1. misan // 1/24/08, 5:24 PM  

    Certainly, my OO 2.3 Gutsy stock is crashing like crazy while I'm using impress to prepare a presentation that includes some photos.

    If I were not using OO for a long time I would never consider this software as usable.

    I'm going to try your fix to see what happens.

    Thanks a lot.

  2. misan // 1/25/08, 10:58 AM  

    Ok, the fix worked, no more crashes but ... dialogs now go full screen and do not look good.

    I hope they'll fix the problem soon. I'm going to check launchpad.