Some weeks ago, I have showed two small tips to tweak your Ubuntu Linux. The first one is to disable IPv6 and the second one is to reduce swapping. Today, I have another tip to make your gnome menus run faster.

1. Create a file named .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory

cd
touch .gtkrc-2.0
echo "gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0"| tee -a .gtkrc-2.0

2. Logout and login again

I have tested with a value gtk-menu-popop-delay = 2000 before to try gtk-menu-popop-delay = 0 to see what is different in effect.

Resources:

4 comments

  1. Anonymous // 6/20/07, 6:57 PM  

    Being the complete Linux NOOB that I am, after I create a file named .gtkrc-2.0 do I then enter

    cd
    touch .gtkrc-2.0
    echo "gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0"| tee -a .gtkrc-2.0

    into a terminal all at once or one line at a time?

  2. VnTutor // 6/20/07, 7:01 PM  

    They are 3 separate linux commands. So, you should run one by one.

  3. Anonymous // 6/20/07, 9:11 PM  

    Would it not be a little easier to do:

    echo "gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0" >> ~/.gtkrc-2.0

  4. Bussan // 7/6/07, 1:07 AM  

    this works great, but after I restart my computer it is no longer running.

    How do you make it permanent?